(STS) Short Term Substitutes

The Short-Term Substitute License (STS) may be obtained by individuals with an associate's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education OR show completion of 60 semester hours of college coursework. 

  • STS is valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools.

  • STS licenses are valid until June 30, 2028. 

  • STS holders cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.

  • STS holders must complete a training program provided by the school board or ROE # 39 -  Sign up here for Short Term Substitute Training.   Submit the signed Evidence of Completion form to Dee Williams at

  • STS license holders can serve as Paraprofessionals. 

STEP ONE: Obtain a Short-Term Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:   


  1. Log on to and click on "Log Into ELIS" in the upper left hand corner. Click on Log into your ELIS account in the middle of the page and then click on "CLICK HERE FOR FIRST TIME ACCESS TO THE ELIS SYSTEM", follow the prompts and setup your ELIS account and Select Continue.

  2. Under "Home" "Action Center", click on Apply for Credentials, follow the steps and click on “Apply for Short-Term Substitute Teacher license." There is an application fee of $25.00 plus a convenience fee.

  3. At this point, request official sealed copies of transcripts to Dee Williams at ROE #39. Transcripts must be from a Regionally accredited university and show an Associate's degree (or higher) has been awarded OR 60 semester hours of college coursework.  Official transcripts can be emailed direct from your university to
    Electronic transcripts must be sent by the university to the e-mail address above. They may not come from the substitute applicant directly or they are deemed "unofficial".

**A new law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017.  Click here for more information

STEP TWO: Register your Short-Term Substitute Teaching License:
Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.

  1. Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. There is NO fee to register your license but this step is still required.  

STEP THREE: How to obtain a Short-Term Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:

Applicants wishing to be considered for a Short-Term Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The substitute packet includes the following: 

  • Substitute Teacher Application Form

  • Release of Information Form

  • Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) signed by a physician.

  • BUSHUE authorization forms for your fingerprint appointment. Return these forms to  PRIOR to your fingerprint appointment.

Click here to print the Short-Term Substitute packet electronically

ROE39 now has an established relationship with Memorial Occupational Health Clinic.
Please call 217-876-4900 to set up an appointment for a physical if you do not have a Dr. or recent physical. You must let them know you are having a pre-employment physical for ROE39 and that you are self-pay. They will bill your insurance company on your behalf. If you do not have insurance, the cost is $70.00.

TB test is NOT necessary unless you are planning on subbing for Pre-K.

STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting:

  1. Pay for your fingerprinting PRIOR to making your appointment. The cost is $65 and can be paid online via There will be a $2.00 convenience fee charged.

    Click here to pay for your Substitute fingerprinting

    3. Call Bushue Background Screening to setup your fingerprint appointment at: 217-342-3042.

    Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received at our office, you will be mailed a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical. Take that information to each district office where you would like to substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them

Click here for a Substitute Coordinator contact list by school district

ROE #39 Privacy Policy: All inquiries regarding licenses must be made by the license holder, we are unable to share information with other parties. Thank you.